Background

Friday, June 3, 2011

Do What You Love, Love What You Do

It was roughly March when I really got interested in doing some bath and body products.  I got my first set of ingredients in April. Since then, I have made close to 20 lbs of soap, three batches of lotion, four batches of scrubs, plus bath bombs, bath salts, and a few other things that aren't coming to mind.  I have had amazing successes and a few failures (and spills).

But you know what, I've loved it.  Every minute.  I've learned from my mistakes.  I find great joy in opening a new package.  Even if I know it contains ingredients from Bramble Berry such as Stearic Acid or a new color.  These might not sounds like exciting things to you, but they bring a great sense of joy to me, because it means new and more creations.

I thought I would like this "hobby" when I got into it, but I had no idea how much I would love it.  As silly as it may sound, I feel like this is something I could do professionally, every day.  Each new product is a new creation, waiting for someone to love it. I wait for inspiration to hit. And for inspiration from people. I want to create products people love.  Not just what I love. And I want it to be beautiful.  I want a beautiful product to make you feel beautiful.

Want to see some of what happens in my little corner of the world?

This may look like a giant mess to you.  To me?  It looks like a success.  There are 13 sample jars of my Sunrise on the Sand lotion there.  And I'm proud of EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Here's what a block of my Lily of the Valley sample size soaps look like when they are fresh out of the mold.
When that block comes out, this is what it looks like.  I cut it, wrap it, wrap it again, make it look pretty, add labels, etc.

Since I feel like I put a part of myself into my products, I want everything to look beautiful.

By the way, the Etsy shop should open this weekend.  As soon as it does, I'll post and let you know :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment